Wednesday, March 13, 2013

How can it be March?


     Where the heck did February go?  I’m thinking that I should have just renamed the house the Infirmary.  Between Choo and Dude (and myself) February was spent being ill.  What fun!  The best part of February was the lunch date Bear and I had on February 28.  It felt so good to get out of the house and enjoy each other’s company.

But, the euphoria was not to last.  Why?  Because on March1, I sprained my ankle while walking down the stairs.  I’m thinking of writing a book, my life might be entertaining to other people.  What are the odds?  We went to an urgent care facility who promptly diagnosed me with a severe sprain/ possible fracture.  I got a fiberglass splint and crutches.  I was laid up for the whole week. Since I am not good on crutches, I fashioned a ‘redneck wheelchair’.  Normal folks might refer to them as office chairs, but where’s the fun in that.  I had one on the second floor and one on the first floor.  So, how did I navigate the stairs?  We call it ‘booty-scooting’. Yea, that was a sight.  Choo was not sure what to make of my injury.  When he came home on March 1, he promptly came upstairs and saw my splinted foot propped up while I was laying on the bed.  His response: “Wha da hey?” which I’m pretty sure is his way of repeating Mommy’s favorite phrase of “What the hell?”  (my usual response to Dude’s room).  Guess I’ll be cleaning up the language ASAP.  I started covering the splint with one of Bear’s socks because my toes were getting cold.  This just intrigued little Choo, who proceeded to poke my swollen ankle with his finger while I’m screaming, “Don’t touch, don’t touch Mommy’s foot, no no no…..AHHHHHHH.” It’s been really fun around here.  Bear has been trying to spoil me by getting my favorites : almond bear claws from Publix.  Yummy, but about 500 calories each.  Now, he has added Georgia mudslide Blizzards to the mix.  Those are 1000 calories.  Just what someone who can’t move around needs, tons of fat and calories.  But his heart is in the right place.

I went to the orthopedic this Monday (the 11th).   Boy, I don’t do anything half way.  I sprained the three ligaments that wrap around your ankle.  They gave me a boot.  I wasn’t really sure what they were talking about, but it is like a removable walking cast.  Mobility has been so welcomed!  I’ve never been so excited to clean my house or do laundry.  I started physical therapy yesterday.  There is no keeping me down.  I can drive now and walk around once I get to my destination. WooHoo!!  Today I will be buying my little guy some baseball pants and a glove (nothing like last minute) because he starts Challenger baseball this weekend.  That is a baseball league for special needs children.  He needs to spend more time outside playing, and I think this is just the ticket.  Dude has volunteered to help Choo on the field, since I can’t run.  This works out great because Choo practically worships Dude.  Wish us luck.

No comments:

Post a Comment